PhD Studentship at Universiti Brunei Darussalam
The Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah Institute of Education, Universiti Brunei Darussalam is seeking a suitable PhD candidate for the Research Project “Promoting Understanding of Science Concepts through Professional Development of Science Teachers” (PUSC-PDST).
The research will utilise a model of professional development to develop abilities to improve teaching and learning practices which promote better understanding of science concepts and principles in Brunei.
Candidates must hold the following qualifications and experience:
- good undergraduate Honours degree (preferable First or Second Upper) in a Science subject or Science Education
- Master of Education degree in Science Education subject
- taught in a relevant Science subject in secondary education for a minimum of 3 years.
- English Language proficiency – at least pass in IELTS score of 6.0 OR TOEFL test 550 OR grade 6 in English language at GCE `O` Level OR a grade `C` in IGCSE (as a first or second Language)
- good communication skills in both Malay and English
- own a car and valid driving license.
First choice will be given to Brunei citizens or Permanent Residents. Overseas students may be considered as well.
Scholarship funded by the Science & Technology Research Grant will be awarded on a competitive basis (via interview). ONLY SHORT LISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE NOTIFIED. The Scholarship will cover tuition fees plus a maintenance grant at the rate of (BND6,000.00 per annum, plus BND3000 per programme tuition fees).
The project is planned to start as soon as possible in December 2010 for full-time study. The Scholarship will be offered for one year in the first instance, and is renewable for a maximum of three years subject to satisfactory academic performance.
Candidates must make a formal application to the Universiti Brunei Darussalam Faculty of Research, Postgraduate Studies and Development. The deadline for receipt of applications is 16:00h on Thursday 30 December 2010.
How to apply:
Please send your completed application letter and full Curriculum Vitae to the:
Office of Postgraduate Studies and Research,
Universiti Brunei Darussalam
Level 2, ILIA Building, Jalan Tungku Link,
Email: Eliza Hashim
Tel: 2463001 Ext. 2303
Candidates who need further information concerning the nature of the research that are not answered by the website can contact the Principal Researcher, by email only:
Dr Irene P-A Cheong,
Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah Institute of Education,
Universiti Brunei Darussalam.
Email: Dr Irene Cheong